07 May 2008

Linux is much more than just a free OS

This is a kind of homage to how some concepts that are used in Physics are actually applied in programming. I have been studying and experimenting with OpenGL and mesa3D and X-windows and my own OS on top of Linux, that uses OpenGL. I found that after the first 6 months of study of matrix math and how it applies to actual simulations of real world things, that my dimensional IQ had been boosted significantly. I realized this one day when I was studying and implementation of a program to solve Rubik's cube as a graphical image. I also found that it was instrumental in understanding things like chirality in Chemisty and the same in Physics

Linux has a large number of programs with open source and programming itself is a valuable tool in understanding logic and how it applies in the real world. Some aspects of software seem to have no area of study or representation in mainstream science. I read a book by a self taught hacker the other day and I was profoundly enlightened by the elegance and complexity of a technique he was using to profile randomness. I have not even seen the concept mentioned in any scientific pursuit. I quite often run into funny or brilliant pieces of information when looking through the code of open source programs. I found the kernel notes on the idea of deadly embrace of signals profound. The scientific community of Linux can provide more than just free software, the study and understanding of the source itself is a wealth of information that nobody should overlook.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's an excellent observation and I couldn't agree more! Reading your post made me think about the 2 worlds of Micro$oft and Linux/OpenSource. To me the comparison between the Micro$oft world and Linux/OS world is this. With Micro$oft it's like living in a apartment that some company has completely furnished for you. There are something you would like to have, others not so much and things you would like to change but over all you force yourself to become comfortable with what you have. You adapt yourself to your environment. Linux/OS you are standing in the middle of a field with a saw, hammer and a pick axe. The beauty is in it's simplicity and what is left to your imagination. The one thing that still strikes me with awe in the Linux world is whatever you can imagine you can do and there is about 300 different ways to do it. It is a paradise for anyone who enjoys lateral thinking and creative problem solving.

Thank you for your posts and reading what you toss.

Anonymous said...

See what 34 hours of no sleep and banging away at virtualizing a data center will do to my brain... It was supposed to say "Thank you for your posts and I look forward to reading what you toss.". I must be runnin a few quarts low in the caffeine and B-12 department. Wonder twin powers activate :P

ttyl

Paul Mohr said...

I understand the lack of sleep, I have been there many times. in fact I am fighting a few dragons ( swf svg ssl ) myself right now. Just keeping up with the latest methods can be tough. I really appreciate everybody who works together to solve problems. I think understanding it all would be hopeless alone. I discovered stellarium recently and that is a neat program.