07 May 2008

Hardy Heron is nice

I have been upgrading my machines one at a time and here is the report so far:

  • my oldest machine worked perfect on the upgrade, considering Windows will not run on that machine anymore. *****
  • Laptop system, perfect upgrade no problems. *****
  • My machine with ATI graphics. Perfect! see below. *****

I usually just make a DVD for my ATI graphic machine because I have had so many problems with the ATI drivers. Since I am trying to help out and recommend ways to improve how people perceive Linux, I decided I would try it exactly like a n00b. I was literally floored, the driver installation was smooth and flawless, and though there was one glitch, the system healed itself! Seriously, it recognized problems with the ATI card and reconfigured it after I tried to break the installation of the card.

The developers at Ubuntu and KDE and Debian have all done something fantastic. It is with out a doubt, more user friendly and useful than Windows. Anybody who fails to use Linux now has no excuse.

In addition I got the new Firefox with it and the style is impressive, and my system runs faster. I saw one issue only that could be considered a problem or an issue. So many people were getting the new Hardy Heron that the servers were swamped and still are. I was able to use Torrent and that was blazing fast. I tried the complete process both ways and I had to wait several hours for the standard upgrade download, but even that was worth it.

5 comments:

Wei-Yee Chan said...

>The developers at Ubuntu and KDE
>and Debian have all done
>something fantastic. It is with
>out a doubt, more user friendly
>and useful than Windows.
>Anybody who fails to use Linux
>now has no excuse.

Hasta la vista, Vista. :-)

Anonymous said...

A very useful comment. If HH can bring old PCs back to life, why bother to get a new machine?

MichaelK said...

I loved Ubuntu on my old 750MHz/384MB Compaq. It made it usable until it finally actually, really died from CPU heat death.

However, HH doesn't want to play nice with my new Vaio's wireless, and it's just beyond my ability to fix at the moment. Sadness.

Wei-Yee Chan said...

Use a laptop cooler to reduce heat build-up.

Have you asked for help on the Ubuntu technical help list? I'm not on this list anymore, but I think there might be people who can solve your problem.

Do take a look at this as well: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wireless-tools/+bug/178453

MichaelK said...

Oh no, it was a 2000 Compaq desktop that finally died. It was old and was headed that way anyway.

I'm on the Ubuntu forums, but not the tech help list.

Thanks for pointing to the bug page. We took an extended smack at it at the LUG meeting last night, but not quite there in Heron yet... NDISWRAPPER got it recognized, but no device created.