17 August 2008

I'm Not a Japanese

Why does everyone assume that I'm Japanese, when on my MySpace profile, it clearly states that I'm a Chinese from Hong Kong? Could it be that I resemble Sadako? :P

Thank goodness, I was wearing that Chinese Christian school uniform when I posed for my profile photo, or else, even the Chinese in the People's Republic of China would have mistaken me for a Japanese.

Anyway, I'll take that as a compliment. Ummm....any free chocolates for Japanese people? :-)



Related:

Stalker or Fan Mail?

My MySpace Whore

4 comments:

kozmcrae said...

In spite of that 80's song, no one can turn Japanese. Western culture can be pretty dumb when it comes to non-Western culture. I never saw your MySpace space. I try to avoid MySpace but my daughter has an account and sometimes it's the only way to find out what is happening in her life. I'll be damned if I'm going to sign-up just to communicate with her. Good old fashioned email will have to do. At least I knew that anyone with a last (first?) name of Chan must be Chinese. But I never thought about it. To me it is more important that you are a woman and are a Linux advocate.

Wei-Yee Chan said...

>I try to avoid MySpace but my daughter
>has an account and sometimes it's the
>only way to find out what is happening
>in her life.

Say...you're not spying on her, are you?  But then, with so many sick people on the net...

Evil Bitch Charged Over MySpace Suicide

>At least I knew that anyone with a
>last (first?) name of Chan must be
>Chinese.

Yep, Chan is a Chinese surname.

The problem is, the Japanese use "Chan" with their real names too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_titles#Chan

unwesen said...

Your name clearly is not Japanese :)

Wei-Yee Chan said...

>Your name clearly is not Japanese :)

Exactly. My name is exclusively Chinese. :-)