27 June 2007

Joke - $in-gapore "Systems Administrator"

First up, this is not a joke that I made up but it really happened in real life. Now, I would have refrained from calling this person a retard if he wasn't an extreme example of a typical $in-gaporean, who is ever so fond of inventing "facts" to defend himself and/or attack others, plotting and backstabbing others, falsifying evidence, taking undeserved credit for others' work....etc....the list just goes on and on....

What I find so funny about this is that as a systems administrator cum desktop support, he could fare so much worse than a Windoze/Linux newbie.

Anyway, here's what happened. Retard was trying to burn an iso image that a user had downloaded. Being the ever so knowledgeable and brilliant administrator cum desktop support he is (or so he claims), he dragged the file into a Windoze Explorer window and hit "Burn file(s) to CD".

Needless to say, the CD wasn't bootable as it was supposed to be. When I came along, he was explaining to the user that the CD burner was faulty and needed to be replaced. Doubtful, the user sought my opinion. I took a look and pointed out that Retard wasn't doing the right thing, so I started up Nero Burning ROM to reproduce the image's contents. The CD booted up just fine.

Naturally, Retard wasn't very happy about this, for he (like a typical $in-gaporean) was suffering from serious delusions that he was above G-d (so he had to be right all of the time), and I received a furious stare from him.

Unknown to him though, the user was glaring angrily at him. It was only then that I realised there were approximately five CDs (or coasters, if you prefer) in the user's wastebasket. :-D

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I've got tons of stupid Luser stories myself...

A long time ago I worked at Circuit City. I had a guy come in and buy a computer from me. He was very adamant that he knew everything he could about the computers, as he had one at home already. He picked out a good machine and took it home. The next day I got a phone call from him, and he was asking why there was no place to put his disks in his computer.

It turns out he was trying to fit 5 1/4" floppies from an old TANDY 1000 into the machine, and there was no place for them. I explained that disks were now 3 1/2", and he'd need to get some of those.

An hour or so later he called me back, and said he now had 3 1/2" disks, but the drive was making funny noises at him. "That's quite normal," I explained.

"But it says it can't read the disk! There should be data on them!" The guy seemed to be panicking a bit.

After about 20 minutes or so of discussion, it turns out the guy took a scissors and cut his 5 1/4" floppies down to 3 1/2".

I had to break the news to him that his disks were now ruined. I did get quite the laugh out of it though!

Wei-Yee Chan said...

>Ah, I've got tons of stupid Luser
>stories myself...

*Lol* Thanks for sharing.

unwesen said...

We had a guy coming into the computer shop I was working at who was complaining that his computer was terribly slow. That was win98 times.

It wasn't a bad machine, not the fastest at the time, but not the slowest. Booting up took way longer than we thought it should, and once the GUI was shown, we realized that for unfathomable reasons he was loading huge amounts of weird programs at startup. The system tray took up most of the space in the bottom bar, extending over two lines. I don't remember what was in there exactly, but I do remember that there were several virus scanners running, each reporting several of the other virus scanners as potential threats.

On top of that, he had the active desktop activated, and chosen a VRML animation of one of next generation enterprise as his desktop background.

Needless to say, after disabling most of that crap, the machine ran just fine. We did just that, and gave it back, explaining what had caused the slowdown.

The next day the guy was in the shop again, again complaining about the performance. Everything was running again.

That's not really as bad as cutting up disks, but... what is it that people use the space in between their ears for?

Wei-Yee Chan said...

>That's not really as bad as cutting
>up disks, but... what is it that
>people use the space in between
>their ears for?

I really can't blame ignorant users who're swimming in a sea of confusion, but evil and stupid administrators (like the one I mentioned) deserve the full wrath of everyone.