18 April 2007

Why I Dumped Fedora for Ubuntu

Giving up on Edgy
Wei-Yee Chan
Sun Nov 19 04:00:03 GMT 2006

Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> Yes, I did a clean install. Once would expect, however, that it wouldn't
> (or at least *SHOULDN'T*) be necessary. Ubuntu is Debian based, and
> Debian has often excused it's bad installer by pointing out that you
> only had to use it once, from then on, apt and dist-upgrade would do the
> job. On the Ubuntu website, they even say that a dist-upgrade was all
> that is needed.
>

In my case, I was lucky. I did a distribution upgrade and met with minimal problems.

> I didn't believe them, though ... I did a full install. Of course, that
> didn't give a clean system either.

I guess it might be a good idea to downgrade to 6.06 then, as NoOp has suggested. I've seen worst distributions out there. I don't know about now, but when I was with Fedora, things broke down all the time becos the maintainers were constantly releasing buggy updates. Ubuntu is one of the best distributions I've ever seen.

No comments: