19 April 2008

A Million Songs in Your Pocket

Two researchers at Glasgow University have announced a molecule-sized switch that they say could allow up to 500,000GB to be housed on one square inch of substrate. Think: A few million songs in your pocket.

"We have been able to assemble a functional nanocluster that incorporates two electron donating groups, and position them precisely 0.32nm apart so they can form a totally new type of molecular switching device," Professor Lee Cronin told New Electronics, which first reported the story.

6 comments:

Paul Mohr said...

I hope they implement it as content addressable memory.

Wei-Yee Chan said...

It'll cost more though.

Paul Mohr said...

CAM has it's advantages, I have designed with it before. Power consumption is an issue also. I was stunned when I looked at your profile, 1,000,000 views! You are famous.

Wei-Yee Chan said...

>CAM has it's advantages, I have
>designed with it before. Power
>consumption is an issue also.

I see.  What do U do for a living?

>I was stunned when I looked at
>your profile, 1,000,000 views! You
>are famous.

Perhaps my old blog photo drew all that traffic. *Lol*

https://launchpad.net/~chanweiyee

Paul Mohr said...

I work in computer systems design and semiconductor wafer fabrication. I just finished some studies in molecular genetics and I am working to integrate AI, nano-technology, electronics, and genetics, for life extension. That must be some picture to draw 1M hits *smile*. I think I could draw a few hits if I agreed to -remove- my picture.

Wei-Yee Chan said...

>I work in computer systems design
>and semiconductor wafer fabrication.
>I just finished some studies in
>molecular genetics and I am working
>to integrate AI, nano-technology, >electronics, and genetics, for
>life extension.

Cool. :-)

>That must be some picture to draw
>1M hits *smile*. I think I could
>draw a few hits if I agreed to
>-remove- my picture.

*Lol*