24 April 2008

The future of open source

I work in the development of new drivers and video for Xorg and Mesa along with many other things, including free MMOG. I discovered some very interesting projects that I am going to contribute to also. There is a new project to create an ink jet printer that actually manufactures objects. I also have done some work to create a nano-technology interface to a 3D world which in fact a real nano-factory to produce real physical devices at the atomic level. I foresee a day when I can download an open source script for a nano-interface to build circuits. I also have been going to school in genetics and I see many possible ways that it could be applied rationally and openly to help everyone. An interesting idea I had was a modified genome of a fast growing tree that grew into the shape of a living house. I think this is very feasible and I have been developing tools to analyze the genotype to phenotype changes that occur to produce such a thing. It is now possible to 'print' an organism using an ink jet printer. I think the open source concept is how people of many different places and cultures can agree that sharing ideas can benefit all. I may not always agree with what others think, but I like to look at what we all have in common , rather than how we might disagree.

No comments: